Cash Assistance Programs:

No English

Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP) and Diversionary Work Program

The Minnesota Family Investment Program, or MFIP, is the state’s welfare reform program for low-income families with children. MFIP helps families move to work and focuses on helping families. It includes both cash and food assistance. When most families first apply for cash assistance, they will participate in the Diversionary Work Program or DWP. This is a four month program that helps
parents go immediately to work rather than receive welfare.

Some families may be referred to MFIP when they first apply for assistance or after they finish four months of DWP. MFIP helps families transition to economic stability. Parents are expected to work, and
are supported in working. Most families can get cash assistance for only 60 months.

Refugee Cash Assistance:

The refugee resettlement program coordinates services to assist refugees in making the transition to life in the United States. The RCA program provides cash assistance to refugees who are ineligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or MFIP for up to 8 months after arrival in the United States.
Only refugee’s as defined by the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) are eligible.

General Assistance (GA):

The General Assistance (GA) program provides cash assistance for single, unemployed adults wih out children, including people who are elderly, ill, injured or otherwise incapacitated.

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA):

Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA) is a state-funded supplement for people who
receive SSI.

Group Residential Housing:

Group Residential Housing (GRH) pays room and board for a group living situation which as a fixed rate contract with a county. This includes foster care settings for adults. It does not include shelters or medical care facilities.

Medical Programs:

General Assistance Medical Care (GAMC): GAMC provides medical care for a monthly average of 33,000 (FY 2007) low-income Minnesotans who don’t qualify for MA
or other state and federal programs – primarily low-income adults, ages 21 and 64, who do not have any dependent children.

Some GAMC applicants and clients are enrolled in Transitional Minnesota Care instead of GAMC.

Medical Assistance (MA):

MA is the largest of the health care programs, providing health care coverage and prescription medication coverage for a monthly average of 507,000 low-income senior citizens, children and families, and people with disabilities in fiscal year (FY) 2007.

The federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services administers Medicaid nationwide. In Minnesota, the Department of Human
Services oversees the program, and eligibility is administered by the counties.

Children, parents and pregnant women make up the largest MA group; elderly or people who have a disability make up the remaining.

Emergency Medical Assistance (EMA):

Non-citizen applicants or enrollees who are not eligible for federally funded Medical Assistance (MA) or, in some
cases, state-funded MA (program NW), may be eligible for Emergency Medical Assistance (program EH) if they have a medical emergency.

Minnesota Care:

Minnesota Care is a publicly subsidized program for Minnesota residents who don’t have access to affordable health care coverage.

Residents (except for some children) are not eligible if their employer offers health insurance and pays at least half of the monthly cost.

Minnesota Care is funded by a tax on hospitals hand health care providers, federal Medicaid matching funds and enrollee premiums.

Minnesota Care has been critical to Minnesota’s welfare reform strategy, helping people leave welfare and go to work without losing health care coverage.

Enrollee premiums are determined according to a sliding-fee scale based on family size and income.

Food Programs:


Civil Rights:

No English

Nondiscrimination Statement

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP):

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is a county-run, federal program administered through the U.S. Department of Agriculture that helps Minnesotans with low incomes get the food that’s needed for sound nutrition and well-balanced meals. The program issues electronic food support benefits that can be used to purchase allowable food items from participating grocers.

Minnesota Food Assistance Program (MFAP):

The Minnesota Food Assistance Program (MFAP) was created by the Minnesota Legislature in response to federal law changes, which made certain non-citizens ineligible for federally funded Food Support. MFAP uses state funds to replace the benefits lost when federal Food Support eligibility ends. MFAP is only available to non-citizens 50 years of age or older. Apply for MFAP as you would for Food Support at your county offices.

Emergency Programs:

Emergency Assistance (EA):

EA provides emergency help for Minnesota families with dependent children under age 21. The emergency must threaten the health and safety of a child, such as eviction or utility shutoff. You can receive EA only once in 12 months.

Emergency General Assistance (EGA):

EGA provides help to people without children who face an emergency situation that threatens the person’s health and/or safety, such as eviction or utility shutoff. You can receive EGA only once in 12 months.

Energy Assistance Program (EAP):

EAP is a program available to low-income people to help pay fuel bills. It pays for wood, gas, fuel oil, or electric heat. It may also help in crisis situations, such as heat.

Electronic Benefit Card (EBT):

Do you have questions about your EBT (Electronic Benefit Card) – including reporting a lost or stolen card or checking on your card balance?
You can call Customer Service, 24 hours a day/7 days a week – Toll-free:  1-888-997-2227.
Or, go to – under EBT Cardholders, click on ‘More Information’.  Log in using your EBT card number and PIN.

Fraud Prevention Investigation:

In coordination with the county attorney’s office, this service investigates alleged welfare fraud reports and recommends disposition of cases investigated. Welfare fraud includes discrepancies such as unreported assets, household members, or income.

Welfare fraud may be reported to Traverse County Social Services Department:  320-422-7777