Traverse County is responsible to license and monitor family/group family/specialized child care homes.

The licensing process includes signing an application form, a criminal background study, letters from references, a fire and safety check of the home and discussion of the State licensing guidelines and standards. A person must be 18 years of age and residing in Traverse County.  A variety of training requirements are also mandatory.  Normally the licensing process can take from three to six months to complete.  Please contact the agency for more information at (320) 422-7777.

Licensed Child Care Providers: Licensed Child Care Providers

Licensing Lookup:

Department of Human Services Website:

Office of the Ombudsperson for Family Child Care Providers:

Thinking About Starting a Child Care Program:



Department of Human Services Forms for Providers and Parents:

Accident Form: DHS 7774 Serious Injury Reporting Form

Release for PhotosRelease for providers for photos,etc

Age Ratios: Age Definitions

Traverse County Policies & Guidelines:

Fence Policy: Fence Policy

Pool Policy: Pool Policy

     MN DHS Pool Forms:

Trampoline Consent: Trampoline Use Permission 521

Variance Guidelines:  Variance Policy 2021

Variance Forms to be Completed:

Variance Request Family Child Care

FCC Weekly Attendance Schedule

Variance Request Notice for Parents

Minnesota Rules & Statutes & State Fire Marshal Requirements:

MN Rules 9502 (Licensing): MN Rule 9502

MN Statutes Chapter 245A (Licensing):

MN Statutes Chapter 245C (Background Studies):

MN Statutes Chapter 299F.51 (Carbon Monoxide):

MN State Fire Marshal Carbon Monoxide Alarms:

MN State Fire Marshal Child Care (Day Care) Information: and