Chad Gillespie, P.E., County Engineer
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 485, Wheaton, MN 56296 Street Address: 708 3rd Ave North, Wheaton, MN 56296
Phone: (320) 563-4848 Fax: (320) 563-8734
The main objective of the Traverse County Highway Department is the construction and maintenance of County Highways and Bridges, County State Aid Highways and Bridges and Township Roads and Bridges. The goal of the Highway Department is to ensure that the roadways and bridge structures in the county are designed according to Federal and State guidelines, constructed according to the contract specifications and properly maintained to ensure the safety of the traveling public. To accomplish these tasks, the department staffs a Senior Engineering Technician, Highway Technician, Accountant, Maintenance Supervisor, Mechanic, Sign Technician, and a number of Maintenance Workers.
Highway Department contact email: email@example.com
Office and Shop Hours:
- Monday 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM
- Tuesday 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM
- Wednesday 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM
- Thursday 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM
- Friday 7:00 AM – 11:00 AM
- Saturday Closed
- Sunday Closed
- After Hours Emergency: Please contact the Sheriff’s Department at 320.422.7800
Our main shop is located in Wheaton 320.563.4233.
Satellite Shops are located in:
Browns Valley 320.695.2204
Click link below for Traverse County Highway Map
Click link below for Traverse County Municipalities Map
2019 Construction Projects for Bids:
078-605-007 Ad for Bids Bid Opening May 10th, 2019 at 11:00 AM at Traverse County Highway Dept Office for Project SAP 078-605-007 for Stabilized Full Depth Reclamation, Bituminous Surfacing, Aggregate Shoulders (Modified), and Seal Coat
078-598-037 Ad for Bids Bid Opening May 10th, 2019 at 1:00 PM at Traverse County Highway Dept Office for Project SAP 078-598-037 for the Construction of Bridge No 78533 (130′ Continuous 24″ Slab Span) on County Road 76 over the Mustinka River 0.3 Miles West of Jct. TH 27, 2 Miles SW of Wheaton, MN.
WORK IN COUNTY ROAD RIGHT OF WAY
Permits from the County are required when working in County Road Right-of-Way for drainage work such as ditching and tiling, utility work, and driveways/approaches.
Permits from the County are NOT required for mowing and haying.
MOWING COUNTY ROADS
The Traverse County Highway Department will begin mowing bituminous surfaced roads on June 17, 2019. After July 4th the aggregate surfaced roads will be mowed. All mowing operations may include a top cut on shoulders and a side cut on in-slope. We reserve the right to mow the first eight feet away from the road surface, or shoulder if one exists, at any time based on State Statute 160.232. Noxious weeds will be mowed or sprayed whenever they can be identified.
Landowners are welcome to cut ditches for hay but must bring a map of haying locations into the Highway Department prior to June 6, 2019. Haying shall be done in a timely manner to maintain road safety.
Persons mowing road ditches should not blow clippings onto the roadway. The clippings cause problems in the gravel windrow.
WORK IN COUNTY ROAD RIGHT OF WAY NOTICE
PERSONS WORKING IN THE COUNTY ROAD RIGHT OF WAY INCLUDING DITCH CLEANING AND DRAINAGE MUST HAVE A PERMIT FROM THE HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT.
Permit Application Forms:
- Tiling Permit Application Form- Traverse County Highway Dept
- Drainage and Ditch Cleaning Permit Application Form – Traverse County Highway Dept
- Overweight Oversize Building Moving Permit Application Form – Traverse County Highway Dept
See following map for Bridge Load Postings Traverse County Bridge Posting Map
- Utility Permit Application Form – Traverse County Highway Dept
- Special Overweight Annual Permit
- New Driveway or Approach Permit Application – Traverse County Highway Dept
Dust Control 2019 Sign-up Information
The Traverse County Highway Department will coordinate application of calcium chloride for dust control for interested Traverse County Residents for Spring of 2019. Residents receiving dust control will pay the applied cost.
PAYMENT MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE COUNTY BEFORE APPLICATION WILL BE MADE. NO EXCEPTIONS!
Residents receiving application of dust control should understand the following:
- Dust control will only be applied after payment has been received by the County Highway Department. Payment must be received by 4:30 PM on May 14, 2019.
- Dust Control will be applied during the last two weeks of May, weather permitting.
- Dust Control (calcium chloride) requires moisture to be effective. During extensive dry weather (late summer/early fall) the dust control will lose its effectiveness.
- The Highway Department reserves the right to maintain the road surface where dust control has been applied. The Highway Department will make efforts to segregate dust control treated gravel from other road gravel.
The cost for one application 20ft. wide by 350 ft long will be $275.00. The length can be extended by intervals of ten feet for $7.86/10 ft. Residents having dust control applied in 2018 will receive an invoice for the same application quantity. Should the resident want any change in application location, contact the highway department by May 14, 2019 at 4:30 pm. For quantity changes, add or subtract ten foot intervals and adjust the cost accordingly.
Residents who did not receive dust control in 2018 and wish to receive dust control should contact the Traverse County Highway Department with payment by the deadline at 320.563.4848 or PO Box 485, Wheaton MN 56296.
All payments must be received by the Highway Department by end of day May 14, 2019.