Chad Gillespie, P.E., County Engineer
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 485, Wheaton, MN 56296 Street Address: 708 3rd Ave North, Wheaton, MN 56296
Phone: (320) 563-4848 Fax: (320) 563-8734
The main objective of the Traverse County Highway Department is the construction and maintenance of County Highways and Bridges, County State Aid Highways and Bridges and Township Roads and Bridges. The goal of the Highway Department is to ensure that the roadways and bridge structures in the county are designed according to Federal and State guidelines, constructed according to the contract specifications and properly maintained to ensure the safety of the traveling public. To accomplish these tasks, the department staffs a Senior Engineering Technician, Highway Technician, Accountant, Maintenance Supervisor, Mechanic, Sign Technician, and a number of Maintenance Workers.
Highway Department contact email: email@example.com
Summer Office/Shop Hours:
- Monday 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM
- Tuesday 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM
- Wednesday 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM
- Thursday 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM
- Friday 7:00 AM – 11:00 AM
- Saturday Closed
- Sunday Closed
- After Hours Emergency: Please contact the Sheriff’s Department at 320.422.7800
2018 Construction Projects for Bids:
078-605-006 Ad For Bids Bid Opening June 14, 2018 at 11:00 AM at Traverse County Highway Dept Office for Project SAP 078-605-006 for Stabilized Full Depth Reclamation, Bituminous Surfacing, Aggregate Shoulders (Modified), and Seal Coat
CP 18-01 GRAVEL Ad for CSAH Bid opening March 29, 2018 at 11:00 AM at Traverse County Highway Dept Office
MOWING COUNTY ROADS
The Traverse County Highway Department will begin mowing bituminous surfaced roads on June 18, 2018. After July 4th the aggregate surfaced roads will be mowed. First mowing includes a top cut on shoulders. Second (fall) mowing includes top cut and six foot side cut on in-slope. Noxious weeds will be mowed or sprayed whenever they can be identified.
Neighboring landowners are welcome to cut ditches for hay but must bring a map of haying locations into the Highway Department prior to June 15, 2018. Haying shall be done in a timely manner to control vegetation and weeds and to improve safety.
Persons mowing road ditches should not blow clippings onto the roadway. The clippings cause problems in the gravel windrow.
WORK IN COUNTY ROAD RIGHT OF WAY NOTICE
PERSONS WORKING IN THE COUNTY ROAD RIGHT OF WAY INCLUDING DITCH CLEANING AND DRAINAGE MUST HAVE A PERMIT FROM THE HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT.
Permit Application Forms:
- Tiling Permit Application Form- Traverse County Highway Dept
- Drainage Permit Application Form – Traverse County Highway Dept
- Overweight Oversize Building Moving Permit Application Form – Traverse County Highway Dept
- Utility Permit Application Form – Traverse County Highway Dept
- New Driveway or Approach Permit Application – Traverse County Highway Dept
Dust Control 2018 Sign-up Information
Dust Control Registration
The Traverse County Highway Department will coordinate application of calcium chloride for dust control for interested Traverse County Residents for spring of 2018. Residents receiving dust control will pay the applied cost.
Residents receiving application of dust control should understand the following:
- Dust control will only be applied after payment has been received by the County Highway Department. Payment must be received by 4:30 PM on May 17, 2018.
- Dust Control will be applied during the last two weeks of May, weather permitting.
- Dust Control (calcium chloride) requires moisture to be effective. During extensive dry weather (late summer/early fall) the dust control will lose its effectiveness.
- The Highway Department reserves the right to maintain the road surface where dust control has been applied. The Highway Department will make efforts to segregate dust control treated gravel from other road gravel.
The cost for one application 20ft. wide by 350 ft long will be $264.44. The length can be extended by intervals of ten feet for $7.55/10 ft. Residents having dust control applied in 2017 will receive an invoice for the same application quantity. Should the resident want any change in application location, contact the highway department by May 17, 2018 at 4:30 pm. For quantity changes, add or subtract ten foot intervals and adjust the cost accordingly.
Payment must be received by the County before application will be made.
Residents who did not receive dust control in 2017 and wish to receive dust control should contact the Traverse County Highway Department with payment by the deadline at 320.563.4848 or PO Box 485, Wheaton MN 56296.